Sunday, March 2, 2008

Top Free Agents::Pitchers

One of my journalistic heroes (yes I have them...I know I'm odd) is Peter Gammons. Every so often in his ESPN insider column, he whips out the top free agents list. I thought we'd give it a shot here. We'll break this up into a pitchers and position players list.

Erubiel Rosado, SP, R, 34, D.C., $5.8m: The number two in the Washington rotation, Rosado is 11-3 with a 4.43 ERA. He strikes out two batters for every one that he walks (106-50) and averages nearly seven innings per start. But, he's given up 13 home runs this year and nearly every run he surrendered has been earned (67 of 70). I'm sure someone will pay him $7m.

Cory Redding, SP, R, 36, Memphis, $5.4m: I traded for Cory Redding because I was looking for an innings eater. He's gone above and beyond, posting a 9-6 record and a 4.12 ERA. Redding has struck out 88 in 137.2 innings pitched. I'm not a fan of his propensity of giving up hits (.285 BA). I have no idea if I'll resign him.

J.J. Lambert, SP, R, 33, Milwaukee, $5.8m: Lambert is the classic innings eating starter. More than 7 1/2 innings per start and five complete games are definite strengths. He gives up a lot of hits (151) and has surrendered 18 home runs. But, a nice pitcher overall.

Note: The pitching market is thin this year.

Blogged with Flock

No comments: