Monday, March 31, 2008

Filling The Holes: AL South


Filling the Holes will take a team-by-team look at what each team needs to address in the off-season. We'll look at this by division.

This episode of Filling The Holes is brought to you by the Shocker. Nothing gets it done quite like the Shocker does. If you don't know what the shocker is, I turn to my friends at Wikipedia. I'm leaving the image not available sign up because well, we're talking an NSFW situation here.

NASHVILLE (92-70, division champs): tecwrg already hates me because I picked against him in the playoffs and I tend to bag on the Saints a little. And far be it from me to offer him suggestions on how to make it work. But, in the interest of fairness, I have two suggestions. Look for some speed on the basepaths. Get a couple of better starting pitchers to upgrade Kirk Sierra and Weldon Stanley.

MEMPHIS (81-81, 2nd place): I had every intention of spending the farm to sign Mikey Hall until Milwaukee locked him up. I'm stuck on a decision to make. I have a chance to shed some salary and vets and go young for a year or two. But, I think that this current group has a year or two to make it work, so I'm also thinking about locking up a bat or two to make it work. Anyhow, my two biggest issues come at the leadoff slot and on the left side of the infield. I'm all but certain that Stubby Simon will lead off next season, which means I need to decide whether Slash Wilkins' 70 SB are worth $3.9m. And, I have P.J. Berra, who has all the stamina of my 92-year-old grandfather, and a glove made out of a cinder block. So, I guess that as for NEEDS: A functional third baseman. Probably another starter.

RICHMOND (78-84, 3rd place): Richmond actually scored 60 more runs than I did this season. But, there is an enormous dropoff from staff ace Gordon DiSarcina to the rest of the jokers in the rotation. Terrence Wolf and Dennis Meng chew up innings, but give up too many hits. NEEDS: About 10 pounds of C-4 to blow up their rotation with.

MONTERREY (72-90, DFL): Another team that posted more runs than I did this season. And another team with one good starter, one okay starter and three shitty starters. And, as an added bonus, check the line on closer Brian Uchida: 1-4, 19/27 SVO, 6.68 ERA, .341 OBA, 1.027 opp. OPS. NEEDS: To see if Richmond is willing to go halvsies on that explosive.

No comments: