Tuesday, November 17, 2009

OnIoNDEX: Season 8, No. 1

Hey kids!

It's been a little while, but we seem to be pacing well. With 30 games, it looks like the divisional battle in the NL West will be one to watch this season. In the AL, eh, I have my own problems in the AL. Nonetheless, Minnesota and Memphis look like the class of the group.

But, what if we had a convoluted formula like the BCS or RPI to guide us. I thought that with 30 games down that it would be high time to dust off the OnIoNDEX -- the least predicative power ranking in the entire madeup sports world.

For those of you new to the ratings, I use a mathematical formula (yeah, I guess Mrs. Bumpus was right...I would need math as an adult) that rewards scoring and good pitching:
[Winning percentage + (team OPS-opposition team OPS) divided by runs scored margin.]

It shakes out below. Frankly, I think the formula might be broken. San Francisco and Portland are way too low, but then again neither team is really scoring runs, so who knows?. Until I have time to hammer out a new formula, I offer the following:

Yeah, there was a problem with the formula. Turns out that a few teams having equal runs scored and runs allowed throws a wrench into the formula. I'm going to wait until the PM2 session to run the rankings.

No comments: